Digital Recipe Book
- Blueberry Chocolate Scones
- ​ Preheat oven to 375°. Wash & dry blueberries in oven 25 min. Mix 3.5 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and a pinch (<1 tsp) salt. Stir in a cup of sugar. Cut cold unsalted butter into 1/2” pieces. Mix butter in w/ fingers until pea-sized. Add chocolate chips & blueberries. Mix in 2/3 cup cold water w/ hands until dough forms. Directly on 2 baking sheets, form 6x6x1” squares. Cut into 4 triangles each and separate w/ spatula 2” apart. Bake 25 min, rotating halfway through, then toothpick. Whisk a cup of confectioner’s sugar & 2 tbsp water. Add tsp vanilla & tsp lime juice. Plate & cool in freezer 8 min, checking halfway through. Once scones cool, drizzle w/ icing. Cool in freezer 4 min, then microwave single scone for 30 sec.
- ​ Whisk 2 cups flour & 4 eggs, adding 1 cup milk, 1 cup water, 4 tbsp melted butter, and 1/2 tsp salt. Heat & lightly oil a small pan, then spead a quarter cup of batter across the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip & cook until light brown.
- Potato Pancakes
- ​ Stir 2 eggs, 2 tbsp flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp baking powder. Shred, drain, & pat dry 4 cups shredded potato with onion to taste. Toss in the egg mixture. Heat & oil the pan, then fry table spoon-sized pieces until light brown. Serve with applesauce, sour cream, or syrup. (Note: can also be made with sweet potato.)
- ​ Dissolve quarter oz active dry yeast into 1.5 cups milk. Let stand 10 min. Stir in 2 cups flour, 2 tbsp butter, and 1 egg yolk. Slowly beat in 2 more cups flour. Lightly flour dough & knead, then split into 3 buns, roll, and braid the pieces on a greased sheet. Cover with a damp cloth & let rise 1 hour, then brush w/ egg white & water and bake @ 425° until golden, 20–25 min.
- Soda Bread
- ​ Mix 4 cups flour, 8 tbsp margarine, 4 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir in a cup of buttermilk and an egg. Lightly flour & knead. Smoothen & place in lightly greased pan. Brush w/ butter & buttermilk. Slice an X in the top & bake @ 375° for 30 min. Toothpick-check the bread & re-brush it, and then bake until done, usually 15–20 more minutes.
- Sugar Cookies
- ​ Preheat oven to 350°. Cream together 1 cup shortening, 1 cup butter, & ~3 cups white sugar. Add 2 eggs, ~3 tsp vanilla extract, ~2 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt. Stir in flour (~5 cups all-purpose) until dough forms. Roll into 1” diameter balls and roll in sugar to cover. Place on parchment-covered baking sheet. Bake ~18 min until edges begin to brown. Let cool on cooling rack before icing. Apply icing & sprinkles of your choice.
- ​ Mix 4 cups flour, 2 cups milk, 4 tbsp melted butter, 4 tbsp sugar, 2 tsp salt, 1 egg white, & 1 oz fresh yeast into dough. Let rise 30 min, then split into 3 buns, roll and make bagels. Brush with beaten yolk, sesame, and sugar, then bake on a greased sheet @ 392° for 20 min or until brownish. Let cool 15 min. (Note: for savory bubliks, replace sugar with grated cheese & minced onion.) Dip in tea, sour cream, or jam.
- Golla (borlengo batter)
- ​ Whisk 7 cups flour, 1 egg, 2 egg whites, and 1 tbsp salt, slowly stirring in 3 cups water until very smooth. Let rest refrigerated for a few hours.
- Cunza (borlengo sauce)
- ​ Melt butter (say, 2 cups) with garlic, rosemary, and a little olive oil. See liaison below.
- ​ For every cup of sauce, completely mix 1 egg yolk & 4 tbsp of heavy cream. Add half of the sauce to the mixing bowl & whisk. Add the whisked liaison to the pan with the remaining sauce, and stir over low heat for 4–5 min.
- ​ Heat & lightly oil the pan, the spread half a cup of batter across the pan. When the edges start to lift, flip the borlengo, spread cunza on it, and sprinkle some parmesan. Wait a minute, then fold twice & serve.
Pasta & Pizza
- Tomato Basil Tortelloni
- ​ Heat 1 tbsp oil & 1 tsp chopped garlic on medium-high ~30 sec. Add 8 oz tomato sauce, 1 cup water, 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, & sugar, and boil. Stir tortelloni into sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook occasionally stirring until al dente, ~3 min. Add peas & cream cheese, and cook until heated & melted, ~2 min. Slice stacked & rolled basil leaves and add with salt & pepper. Garnish with grated parmesan.
- Mushroom Carbonara
- ​ Roast sliced white mushrooms with oil, salt, & pepper. Cheese: combine parmesan w/ shredded Swiss & white cheddar. Cook pasta 7–11 min, reserving a cup of cooking water. Sauce: heat oil, garlic, reserved cooking water, yogurt, milk, cheese mixture, and butter. Cook pasta in sauce, 2–3 min, then add mushrooms. Garnish with additional cheese mixture. Serve alongside fruit salad.
- Broccoli & Mushroom Stir-Fry
- ​ Boil rice noodles stirring occasionally until tender, ~6 min. Drain, rinse, then re-drain. Cut broccoli florets, slice mushrooms, cut scallions into 1” sections, and peel & finely chop 1.5 tsp ginger and 1 tsp garlic. Cook broccoli and mushrooms in 2 tbsp oil over medium-high 4–5 min. Add ginger, garlic, scallions, salt, pepper, and 1 tsp oil. Cook ~30 sec. Add noodles and sauce and cook until sauce thickens and noodles are warm, 1–2 min.
- Peanut Noodles
- ​ Sauce: Whisk together peanut butter, teryaki sauce, and apple cider vinegar. Boil udon noodles 3–4 min, reserving cup cooking water. Drain noodles, rinse, then re-drain. Whisk reserve water into sauce. Cook edemame, green beans, and scallions in oiled skillet ~5 min, and transfer to plate. Cook sauce in oiled skillet w/ chopped garlic 2 min. Cook & toss noodles, vegetables, sauce, and a small amount of hot water ~1 min, until noodles are covered in sauce. Garnish w/ scallions.
- Pasta Salad
- ​ Whisk together mayo, dijon, vinegar, cayenne, pepper, and onion. Add pickle, tomato, cooked pasta, and optionally cut hardboiled egg. Mix w/ hands until ingredients are coated.
- Broccoli Baked Penne
- ​ Preheat broiler. Boil penne 6 min. Cut broccoli florets. Grate parmesan & mozzarella. Chop garlic. Boil broccoli & penne 3 min. Toss broccoli & penne in oil. Melt unsalted butter, then add garlic to skillet & whisk in flour & milk 3–4 min. Remove from heat, & stir in parmesan. Pour in with broccoli & penne, stir, then return to skillet, sprinkle w/ mozzarella, & broil 1–3 min until cheese melts & begins to brown. Drizzle pesto alla siciliana atop if desired.
Caprese Skillet Pizza
- Pizza Dough
- ​ Activate 2 tbsp active dry yeast. Mix yeast w/ 3 cups flour, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt, & 7/8–9/8 cup water. Stir into a sticky dough, then flour & knead. Prove in lightly greased bowl for 1–2 hours until doubled in size.
- Pesto alla Siciliana
- ​ Chop fresh basil, dried tomato, almonds, parmesan, & garlic cloves. Mix and slowly pour in olive oil. Season w/ salt & pepper to taste.
- ​ Preheat oven to 450°. Slice & dry tomato in oven 7 min. Transfer dough to lightly oiled cast-iron skillet. Spread pesto, dried tomatos, and coarsely shredded mozzarella. Bake 15 min. Cut into slices once cooled.
- Sweet & Sour Sauce
- ​ Mix 1/2 tsp white pepper & sesame, 1/2 tsp soy or worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tbsp water, 3 tbsp vinegar (rice or white+apple cider), and 4 oz dark brown sugar until there are no clumps, then cook over medium heat, mixing until no longer grainy-tasting.
- Ranch Dressing
- ​ Add a tbsp lime juice & tbsp white vinegar to 1 cup milk, and let sit 5–10 min to make fresh buttermilk. In a separate bowl, add a tbsp lime juice and tbsp white vinegar to 3 yolks. Whisk constantly while very slowly adding a cup of oil until thickened, then add salt, sour cream, and yogurt to taste. Whisk in buttermilk, egg whites, salt, onion powder, parsley, garlic salt, black pepper, & thyme.
- ​ Whisk ranch, mayo, egg yolks, and fresh lemon juice over a double boiler. Add a bit of salt and garnish with cayenne.
- ​ Mix minced clove garlic, lime juice, chopped pepper (jalapeño, with seeds removed if desired), and 3 cubed avocados.
- Amanda’s Pesto
- ​ Combine 1/2 cup dry or fresh basil, 6 tbsp shredded parmesan, 2 minced garlic cloves, 2 tbsp yogurt or cream cheese, and olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend.
- Electrolyte Solution
- ​ Combine 4 cups water, 3 cups cranberry juice, and 1 cup lemon juice, lime juice, or orange juice (or some combination of those). Add 2 tsp salt. Optionally slice citrus fruit or cut blueberries and let soak.
- Egg & Spinach Sandwich
- ​ Boil & blanch spinach. Grate Swiss coarsely. Whisk eggs with milk, salt, & pepper. Butter pans (unsalted). Scramble eggs & cook spinach. Add Swiss then spinach to scramble. Serve on toasted bread, optionally with spicy mayo.
- Doc-Style Hoagie
- ​ Cut hoagie bun. Cover both top & bottom with olive oil / balsamic vinegar / black pepper mix, mayonnaise, and provolone cheese. Then top bottom w/ guacamole, sliced tomato, shredded lettuce, oil/vin/pep mix, dried bean sprouts, & sliced onions if desired. Put top on & lightly smush.
- Cucumber Fruit Salad
- ​ Combine white wine vinegar & chardonnay with olive oil & garlic, then cucumber, tomato, & strawberries.
© Emberlynn McKinney